Which skipper license do you need for the Balearics?
For the agreement effective from January 11, 2015 (according to the regulation of BOE from October 11, 2014) for recreational and water sports use of sport boats in Spain the following must be observed:
Definitions & general terms:
Sport boats for leisure and water sports are limited to 24 meters (80 feet), 600 GT tonnage and 12 passengers (without crew). For boats of more than 5 meters (16 feet) and for sailing boats of more than 6 meters (20 feet) with a performance of more than 15 HP a skipper license is needed in Spain. Boats that do not fulfil these criteria may be driven without a skipper license but are however subject to prescribed distances from the coasts (see details below).
Regulation for EU charter guests not residing in Spain (or one of the below mentioned countries in the BOE table:
- • In order to drive a boat flying the Spanish flag, a skipper license issued by the country of origin of the charter guest is necessary, under consideration of the restrictions mentioned in the table. Otherwise, the applicable regulations of the country of origin of the skipper license apply. Example: A German charterer, who has acquired his German skipper license in Germany, is qualified for driving boats flying the Spanish flag in Spanish waters, as in this case the country that has issued the license matches the home country of the skipper license holder.
- • Charterers with an own skipper license from another country than their own country of origin must prove that they’re resident of the issuing country or that the skipper license has been acquired during a stay (e.g. studies or the like). Example: If a German charterer has acquired a British skipper license, he has to prove residency in England or have resided there at the time the skipper license has been acquired (e.g. studies or the like)
- • As long as the vessel is driven in Spanish waters and flying a flag from a EU country (excl. Spain), a (obligatory) skipper license officially issued from the charterer’s country of origin (under considerations of respecting restrictions) is sufficient. If the nationality and the skipper license do NOT match with the flag of the vessel, the regulations of the country of origin of the charterer or the license applies.
Regulation for charterers originating from other European countries and residing in Spain:
Non-Spanish people (foreign origin from a country within the EU), which are registered as residents in Spain and want to lead a boat flying the Spanish flag, require a domestic (Spanish) skipper license (see below: new regulations for Spanish skipper licenses). Alternatively, it is possible to be issued with a permit from the shipping authority of the charterer’s country of origin. Certificates listed below in the BOE table are accepted.
Regulations for Spanish charterers with a skipper license issued abroad (not in Spain):
Spanish charterers must hold a Spanish skipper license, as long as they are registered as residents in Spain, unless they are residents of another country (here again, the country must be part of the EU or listed in the BOE table). In addition, Spanish charter guests must dispose of a valid document showing residency information (ID/driving license/passport or the like).
Regulations for non-EU charterers:
Non-EU citizens must obtain a specific certification for the use of a boat; this must be applied for at their respective consulate.
If the boat is equipped with a radio/a radiotelephone installation, the charter agency is allowed to request a radiotelephony certification. The radio license however is not obligatory.
Each jet ski driver must posses a respective license. Here a license for coastal navigation is sufficient under consideration of the above-mentioned points. Jet ski licenses can also be acquired, these must however respond to the same conditions as mentioned above. An exception is made for a time-restricted rental of jet skis; these are allowed to be used exclusively in specific designated zones.
Find below the overview of foreign skipper licenses accepted in Spain: BOE table (pages 83094 to 83097)
No guarantee on correctness and completeness of information. You can find here further information and the entire document on the new guidelines regarding the operating of sport boats for leisure and water sports: (Pág. 82997)
New guidelines for Spanish skipper licenses:
In Spain the following skipper license categories are distinguished according to the new regulation (as of October 2014):
Capitán de Yate
Valid for sport boats with a length of up to 24 ms (80 ft).
Mega yachts must be operated with a professional certificate specifically for mega yachts.
Patrón de Yate
Has been enhanced to 24 ms (80 ft) and is now valid for up to 150 NM from the coast and therefore usable for driving in the entire Mediterranean Sea.
Allows the operation of boats with a length of up to 15 ms (50 ft) (previously 12 ms (40 ft)) up to 12 NM from the coast and especially within the archipelagos of the Balearics up to the Iberian Peninsula.
With supplementary practical experience/examination this license can be extended for boats up to a length of 24 ms (80 ft) to be driven within the Balearics up to the Iberian Peninsula.
Valid for sport boast (sailing and motor yachts) of a length up to 8 ms (26 ft) driving up to 5 NM from the coast.
Licencia de navegación
Replaces the former „Titulín“ (this will be rendered obsolete), whereby the speed restriction is abolished and the vessels can be equipped with the maximum speed allowed for the boat. Valid for boats with a length of up to 6 ms (20 ft) allowed to drive 2 NM from the coast during the day only.
Boats with a length of up to 5 ms (16 ft) and a maximum performance of 15 HP can be driven without a skipper license. These boats are not allowed to drive further than 2 NM from the homeport or the coast.
Only day cruises allowed.
Also for sailing boats with a length of up to 6 ms (20 ft) that drive up to 3 NM from the homeport or the coast, no skipper license is needed.
Only day cruises allowed.
Previous Spanish licenses
Already acquired licenses are replaced as follows:
- Capitán de Yate = Capitán de Yate with basic qualification
- Patrón de yate = Patrón deYate with basic qualification
- PER = PER with basic qualification
- PNB = PNB with basic qualification
For the upgrading/enhancement of licenses optional complementary courses are offered.